Sunday, October 17, 2004

Reiki Meeting #1

Shortly after getting back from Burning Man, I decided to look up Reiki on meetup.com. I found a defunct San Francisco group and signed up. As I did, I saw a notice that said "This group needs an Organizer."

"Pshaw," I thought to myself. "I'm no organizer." But as I wandered through the site, it kept coming up, like an appeal or persistent demand. I felt opportunity tapping me on the shoulder, looking down at me as if I knew damn well what I should be doing. Holding my breath, I clicked the link. I became Justin, The Organizer.

Last Wednesday we had our first meeting - I would rate it a smashing success. 6 other people showed up (all women - what is it about Reiki and women?) and though everyone seemed a little uncomfortable at first, most of us were hugging each other by the end.

Our opportunities seem to come when we're looking just to the side. But we have all these chances every day to make some small impact, a positive ripple on the pond of reality. We're planning on another meeting, perhaps some group Reiki by the ocean. Maybe this group will evolve and grow. Maybe not. But for a few hours last week, several people opened up and connected heart-to-heart, shared very personal experiences about the miracle of Reiki, and came away feeling better about life. If a single click can create these ripples, imagine what a true act of courage might effect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home