Thursday, July 22, 2004

Tell me what to think!

I wonder if we would be able to form our own opinions without commentators, Faux News, Rush, NPR, and all the others giving us the proper perspective on issues. It seems to me when the news breaks, each "side" (and there can only ever, EVER be two sides) comes up with the official reaction to it, which is then perpetuated through the entire communications system of America. Congresspeople, newscasters, commentators, talk radio - everyone follows the proper line of analysis.
 
What if the media only reported the news? What if we were left to interpret it ourselves? What if we argued at the coffeeshop using our OWN opinions and not the words we read or heard from someone who analyzes these things for a living?
 
This occurred to me today as I listened to NPR - two editors / commentators discussed Sandy Berger's alleged theft of top secret documents from the govt archive. The official left-spin is that this investigation has been ongoing for months and has just now been leaked to the press, the day before the release of the 9/11 commission report. Obviously someone on the right leaked the story and blew it out of proportion to distract America's attention from a damning report. The right-spin is that Berger engaged in some incredibly suspicious activity, most certainly did not take the papers "accidentally", and is out of politics for good because of this. Now I don't know WHAT to think because I've already been polluted with predigested analysis.
 
Thank goodness for that - I have so many other things to worry about right now. It helps to have someone smart think things through for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home