Saturday, June 26, 2004

WOW. Moore trouble for dubya

It's finally out. And of course I saw it. As did everyone in the bay area, telling from the lines outside. Completely sold out, long lines snaking across the front of the theatre. The movie grips, builds you with tension, releases you with a laugh, and gives you a huge emotional release with a good strong cry.

But how am I now? How have I come away from the movie? Emboldened? Energized? Has the choir been preached to? Inspired? Or worn out?

I actually feel much the same way I have this entire presidency. So much has gone wrong on so many levels in so many ways that I feel inundated with sheer, unbelievable hubris. Since before Gore won the election, I've seen through the cheap veneer of patriotism that bush et al slop to the snuffling crowds. Their blatant, audacious greed has sickened me from day one, yet I feel like I'm screaming in space. No one can hear me. The masses cheer and follow along like they're at a football game.

And I'm left so overwhelmed as to be rendered immobile. Standing in the middle of chaos, so much damage has been wreaked in so many directions, that I spin around dizzy, not knowing where to begin.

It's not unlike the way I feel sometimes when I need to organize my office. Only on a far more disturbing level.

And that's how I feel with the film. Moore has covered so much territory and done it so well, that I once again feel paralyzed by ambition, by a stunning swarm of wrongs to right, so many that I can't focus on a single one.

So I do what I can do. Write these words, which nobody may ever see. Pray. Carry my head high and my integrity intact. Live the life I want to exemplify. And take whatever steps I can take to voice my thoughts and feelings. I want to scream out, to release. But I know the sickening pain of observing this callous and selfish destruction won't go away if I do. If instead I can harness this burn, perhaps it'll carry me through deeds that will make a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home