Sunday, June 06, 2004

Here We Go

It's my blog now. And this is my first entry. Wish me luck.

Just got back from Take Back America conference in DC and I don't remember being this politically energized in a long, long time. The conference gave words to my rage, voice to my hope, the know-how to take action, and the passion to do it.

When I first got the invite from MoveOn, my gut did flips but I was nervous about making the leap - the conference was just a few days away. But after leaving the conference, hotel, and plane itinerary on my screen, just waiting for me to push the button, I finally realized I had already made the decision. And it was a no-brainer. I had to go. Wasn't sure why, I just had to.

Now I know why. I've come away from the conference with some of the clarity I've been seeking as of late in terms of my writing. I do believe in our capacity for compassion. I do believe it is possible to live a life of grace, pursue a path of spirit and reason simultaneously, and apply our principles to public policy in a way that benefits humanity, rather than driving us back into the caves of fear.

Since the coronation of King W, we've lost our way. Tragically and completely. When we as a nation come to believe that killing other humans for ANY reason is morally acceptable, then we have lost our way. When we come to believe that corporations deserve our charity while the least of us deserve scorn, then we have lost our way.

And so with this blog, along with whatever features, letters, and op-eds I can get published, I endeavor to describe the politics of compassion. True compassion. No hand-wringing liberalism. No tree-hugging environmentalism. Just compassion as it applies to our world, our environment, our country, our neighbor, and ourselves.

This is true Progressive thinking. Left vs Right are no longer relevant. The political spectrum has faded to grey. Now is the time to appeal to the highest and best in all of us. Motivation through fear wastes the awesome potential we own. I do believe we are capable of more.

5 Comments:

At 8:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really think this is fantastic Justin. Give us more ... more of the solutions. What about Nader's POV? Do you like? Should people vote for him? Are you endorsing a candidate (beyond simply being against King Bush and Co.?
~ Ladd

 
At 1:26 AM , Blogger Jūs said...

Well, I love what Arianna Huffington said at the conference and in her new book, "You don't remodel your house when it's on fire." While we obviously need more parties in the system, now's not the time to introduce them. Too much is at stake. The first step is to get a non-Bush in the office. And unfortunately, that's pretty much all Kerry means to me right now. I'd elect a sack of potatoes as long as it got Bush out of office. The next step is to make more permanent changes. The new progressive vision extends far beyond this election.

As cliche as it's become, a vote for Nader really IS a vote for Bush. At this point, it's no longer a political statement - voting for Nader is a deliberate attempt to keep Republicans in office without the taint of actually voting for one.

 
At 5:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Potatoe/Spud 2004! Do whats right for the country!

And in other news... you have an rss feed for this blog thingie?

 
At 6:05 PM , Blogger Jūs said...

Here's the xml link for the site feed. I'll put this in my sidebar, as well.

http://jusbar.blogspot.com/atom.xml

And more info about Atom.

 
At 6:13 PM , Blogger Jūs said...

Oh, and no, I don't have an RSS feed yet. Do you want one?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home